By  CakeAndEatItDesigns  /    /  January 11, 2017
Early in its 50-year history, The Academy Art Museum began its permanent collection with 11 works of art. Today, the collection contains more than 1,000 pieces including core holdings of European and American works on paper.
In 2013, the Museum received a donation of 45 works on paper by Frederick Hammersley, consisting of 10 computer drawings; 6 prints; 18 drawings; and 11 paintings. The oeuvre was a generous gift from the Frederick Hammersley Foundation, Albuquerque, NM. Hammersley was born in 1919, in Salt Lake City, UT and died in 2009 in Albuquerque, NM. He was raised in Idaho and moved to Los Angeles, after serving in World War II, to study at Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles. He soon developed a style of abstraction that incorporated geometric forms in his paintings that were called hard-edge painting, a style unique to Southern California. Hammersley was also a professor, teaching first at Jepson Art Institute in Los Angeles and later at Pomona College, Chouinard, and at the University of New Mexico.
The Museum purchased an etching by Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn (1606-1669), Dutch painter and printmaker. Rembrandt is generally considered one of the greatest painters and printmakers in European art and the most important in Dutch history. His contributions to art came in a period of great wealth and cultural achievement that historians call the Dutch Golden Age when painting was extremely prolific and innovative, and gave rise to important new genres in painting. Rembrandt produced etchings for most of his career, from 1626 to 1660, when he was forced to sell his printing-press and virtually abandoned etching. He took easily to etching and, though he also learned to use a burin and partly engraved many plates, the freedom of the etching technique was fundamental to his work. He was very closely involved in the whole process of printmaking, and must have printed at least early examples of his etchings himself.
In April, the Board of Trustees accepted the following artworks to be added to the Museum’s Permanent Collection: Still Life with Pagoda, 1998, lithograph, by Elizabeth Blackadder (1931-2012); Reunion 1, 2006, by Maryland artist Ellen Hill (1960), paper pulp painting on handmade paper, both gifts of Steven Scott Gallery, Baltimore, in honor of the artists. Boston artist Eva Lundsager (1960) donated Untitled, large sumi ink drawing made in 1998. Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lebow of Pikesville, MD, donated the Arch with a Shell Ornament, an etching by Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720-1778) from his famous Carceri d’Invenzione series (1778-1799).
The Museum purchased the albumen print Saint-Rémy, c. 1861-1865, by French photographer Édouard Baldus (1813- 1889), with assistance from funds provided by the Friends of the Collection.
On December 11, 2014, at the recommendation of the Permanent Collection Committee, the Board of Trustees purchased for the Permanent Collection the following artworks: Richard Estes, Downtown-Reflections, 2001, Woodcut print; Thomas Moran, Morning on the St. John’s River, Florida, 1886, Etching and drypoint; and Joseph Mallord William Turner, The Woman and Tambourine, 1807, the outline-etching by Turner himself and the print as published, completed in mezzotint by Charles Turner.
The following gifts were accepted into the Permanent Collection: Jay Lagemann, Swinging Jenny, 2014, Cast bronze, Gift from
the artist; 5 artworks by Greg Mort; Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, The Angel Departing from the Family of Tobias, 1641, Etching, Gift from Susan Forlifer and Robert Middleton, Easton, MD; and 9 Contemporary Japanese prints, Gift from Richard and Susan Silverman, Washington, DC. New acquisitions will be on exhibit in the year to come.
On June 25, 2015, at the recommendation of the Permanent Collection Committee, the Board of Trustees purchased for the Permanent Collection View of a Town with a Bishop’s Tomb (before 1744), an etching by Canaletto and Oiseau Zéphyr (1960), a color lithograph by Joan Miró.
The following gifts were accepted into the Permanent Collection from the estate of the late Grover Batts: prints by Charles Klabunde, Peter Paul, and Kunisada. New acquisitions will be on exhibit in the year to come.
On September 24, 2015, at the recommendation of the Permanent Collection Committee, the Board of Trustees accepted the following gifts: Blackbirds and Rushes, 1920, drypoint, by Frank Weston Benson, a Gift to the Keller Collection from Peg Keller in honor of Kay Perkins and Individuation, 2015, Voyage Interieur, 2012, both intaglio prints by Rosemary Cooley (gifts of the artists). Artist Carol Minarick donated her acrylic painting of Vergangenheitsbewältigung, 2014, from the A-Series-at-Is-Not-A- Series, acrylic on panel. Steven Scott of Baltimore donated Naumkeag, 1997, a screen print by Ellen Lanyon and Melissa Miller’s Fossil, 1998, lithograph, in
honor of former Academy Art Museum Director, Christopher Brownawell. New acquisitions will be on exhibit in the year to come.